Our camping holidays in France
Return to All my Pictures page
These pages are about our camping holidays in our campervans in France.
The pages are arranged to provide complete summaries of our itineries, with pictures.
Full details of all campsites are in our camping guide
Our Itineraries: 2006; 2007; 2008; 2009; 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
|Camping in Central and South West France, 2008 TOP|
|Summary of itinery and sites. NB: Scroll down for pictures|
12th June – 11th july. Portsmouth night to Caen arriving next morning. With Chris, Liz, Hugh.
HUGH FLIGHT Mon 30th june. Perpignan to Soton. Flybe 13.50 [check in by 12.50] arr 14.55.
Ouistraham, Richelieu, Argentat, St. Cricq, Matemale, Egat, Argeles - s - Mer, Touchan, Rieumontagne, Causses Mejean, Crox de Bor, Trizac, Le Bourg d'Hem, Le Ferte Bernard, Caen. Total distance, 1,701 miles.
1. 13th, 14th June. Richelieu. Simple municipal site 20 min. walk from nice small town and near huge park. Very good restaurants.
Chatellerault, Chauvigny, Nr Limoge, free motorway to South of Tulle, Argentat. [4.5 hrs, 188 miles]
2. 15th – 18th June.Argentat. On bank of Dordogne. Excellent rapids. Very friendly. Small pool. 30min walk to Argentat. Good restaurants. Great walks and bike rides.
Beaulieu, Gramat, Motorway past Cahors to nr Montauban, to near Cologne [West of Toulouse] [4.5 hours; 144 miles].
3. 19th , 20th June. Lac de Thoux, St. Cricq. Wonderful site by lake. Pool was cold. Kayaked illegally in lake [no problem; maybe more difficult in full campsite].
St. Lys, Muret, Le Fossat, Foix, Quillan, Axat, Matamale [6 hours; 157 miles].
4. 21st – 23rd June. Matamale. In Pyrenees. At 1500m.. Great village restaurant. Wonderful grassy site with sweet smeling conifers, nesting redstarts and good views. Near lake. Nearby swimming pool. Great walks and bike rides.
Mont Louis, Egat [16 miles]
5. 24th June. Egat. Mountainside site. Terraced. Good views. A few good walks. No challenge to Matemale.
Mont Louis, Prades, Thuir, Elne, Argeles-s-Mer [73 miles].
6. 25th – 29th June. Argeles Plages Wonderful pools and large site. Good bars, shop and excellent Restaurant. Next to beach. Nesting Hoopoes and nightingales. Good bike rides.
Perpignan airport, Estagel, Paziols, Touchan [52 miles].
7. 30th June. La Peiriere, Touchan. Simple site very near village. Nice small pool. Simple good restaurant. Home of Fitou wine. Near MontAuch.
Durban Courbieres, Olonzac, St. Pons de Thomieres, La Salvetat, Rieu-Montagne [94 miles].
8. 1st, 2nd July. Indigo, Rieu-Montagne. Lac du Laouzas, Haute Languedoc.
Nages, Lacaune, Belmont, St. Affrique, Millau, Le Rozier, Meyrueis, Armand. Drigas, Nivoliers [105 miles].
9. 3rd, 4th July. June Causse Mejean. Best wild camping in France. Amongst the pines and wild flowers. Overseen by vultures. Good bike rides and walks. A long way to civilisation so need to take plenty of water and food.
Mas-de-Val, St. Enimie, Sauveterre, Batsiege, Mende, Badaroux, Pelouse, Laubed, Rietort de Rendon, Estables, la Villedieu, [69 miles].
10. 5th, 6th July. Col de Croix de Bor. Excellent wild camp site in Margeride hills. Up long track away from road. On edge of mixed forest. Great views, walks and bike rides.
St. Denis-en-Margerides, St. Alban-s-Limagnole, St. Chely-d-Apcher, St. Flour, Andelat, Allanche, Condat, Riom-es-Montagnes, Trizac [104 miles]. NB This was an exploration. The direct route would be via St. Flour, Murat & Riom.
11. Le Pioulat, Trizac in Cantal. Simple site in mountain village. Small lake for swimming. Nice views. Excellent walks over the plateau and long bike rides. nice small shops. Restaurants in village rarely open but good when they do open [we tend to go out of season]. The mayor got the restaurant to open and we had pigs cheek and other wonderful stuff.
Mauriac, Neuvic [ NB v. good campsite by lake here 20 mile S of Ussel], Meymac, Millevaches, Aubusson, Jarnages, Chatelus Malvaleix, Bonnat, le Bourg d’Hem [136 miles].
12. 9th July. Le Bourg d’Hem. D940. In Creuse region/Limousin. Great wooded site on side of lake. Good swimming. No restaurant. There is a ‘Grand Meaulnes Chateau hidden in the forest.
Bonnat, La Chatre, St. Aout, Issoudun, Vatan, Valencay, Selles, Blois, Vendome, La Ferte Bernard [193 miles]
13. 10th July. La Ferte Bernard. Great site & restaurants. Town is interesting and near campsite.
|Larger pdf file of 2008a|
|Larger pdf file of 2008b|
|Larger pdf file of 2008c|
|Larger pdf file of 2008d|
|TOP 2008; TOP camping|
|Camping in Central, Eastern and Southern France 2007 TOP|
Summary of itinery and sites. [In WORD for printing] NB: Scroll down for pictures
Bourgoin-Jallieu, Chambery, Albertville, St Gervais, M. Blanc tunnel, Courmeyeur, St. Pierre, Cogne, Valnontey. .
3. 30th June – 2nd July. Valnontey. Paradiso National Park Italy. High in the mountains with great views and walks. Very friendly site. Good restaurant nearby.
4. 3rd – 6th July. Domaine les Marmottes La Larche. At about 6000'. Our favourite mountain campsite. set amongst larches on the banks of fast river. Fieldfares, lesser whitethroated warblers. Excellent restaurant in site, run by the owners, and also in nearby village. Magnificent long walks.
5. 7th – 11th July. La Farigoulette. St. Laurent. Lake nr Verdon Gorge. Nr Lac de St. Croix. Good lake for swimming and gorge for kayaking. Large site amongst pines. Small pool, and camp restaurant good. Very friendly. At bas of long steep. Nice walks and rides around the lake.
Arles, Saintes Maries des Mers[169 miles]
8. 18th – 19th July. Camping La Barrette, Le Pont de Montvert. Near Finiel on D20 Cevennes. Wonderful simple and wild. Excellent long walks. No restaurant or pool. Small.
Col de la Tourettes, Laubert, Plad de Palaid du Roi, Samans, St. Chly, St. Flour, Murat, Riom, Trizac. [130 miles].
9. 20th -21st July. Le Pioulat, Trizac in Cantal. Simple site in mountain village. Excellent walks and long bike rides. Restaurants in village rarely open but good when they do open [we tend to go out of season]. Small lake for swimming. good views. Wonderful sunsets.
10. 22nd July. La Ferte Bernard. Great site & restaurants. Town is interesting and near campsite.
|Larger pdf file 2007a|
|Larger pdf file 2007b|
|TOP 2007 TOP camping|
|Camping in Central, Western and Southern France 2006 TOP|
|Summary of itinery and sites. [In WORD for printing] NB: Scroll down for pictures|
Wed 31 May - Mon 19th June. Night. Portsmouth to Caen; Caen to Portsmouth. Afternoon. Chris, Lizand Hugh. Hugh flight home Mon 19th June: Flybe from Perpignan. 13.50 arrive 14.55. Total 1822 miles.
TOP 2006 TOP camping
|Larger pdf file 2006a|
|Larger pdf file 2006b|
|TOP 2006 TOP camping|