SCIENCE   General
                  My research


INDIA      General
               My pictures  

FAVOURITES shopping, friends,
DIY, entertainment,
Southampton etc







   All engines


NOTE 'My files' open with:
ppt Powerpoint
doc Word
xls Excel
pdf Acrobat Reader      [download free]
jpg Opens direct
html Opens direct;
For BIGGER text
Click Ctl plus +
Normal text click Ctl plus 0

VIDEOS can be speeded up by downloading an accelerator




             Importing a privately-owned car

To import a privately-owned car into the UK
The procedure depends on how long the car was owned before import, and where it was made
[inside or outside EU].

Vehicle registration   How to register your vehicle and identity checks
The following documents will need to be submitted to the DVLA local office,
photocopies are not acceptable.
1. Completed application form V55/4 (for new vehicles) or V55/5 (for used vehicles)
     a £55.00 registration fee (if applicable) This form can be filled in at the office.
2. The required fee for the licence
3. A current British certificate of insurance
4. Foreign registration document and any other papers you have relating to the vehicle
5. Evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier)
6. Evidence of type approval [by Mutual Recognition Scheme or SVA scheme].
7. The appropriate HM Revenue and Customs form from HMRC

These are discussed below:

HMRC. Any vehicle brought into Great Britain will need to obtain HM Revenue and Customs
(HMRC) forms to be able to register the vehicle for use on the road. If the car was owned
for less than 6 months before import then VAT and import duty will have to be paid.
If owned more than 6 months nothing is payable. In both cases a form must be filled in:
HM Revenue and Customs forms required to register an imported vehicle;
Import forms;   Form for vehicle owned for more than 6 months 

Type approval. As part of the registration process, DVLA will need to be sure that an
imported used vehicle that is less than 10 years old meets both European Type Approval
standards and UK Construction and Use and Road Vehicle Lighting legislation.
Cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles first registered in another
European member state will need to have a certificate issued by VCA under the
Mutual Recognition Scheme. What is the Mutual Recognition Scheme?
If registered outside UK it will need Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) in order to be registered.
This is a physical test. It will not pass immediately. At the least it will need speedometer
and distance meter changed; side lights. Etc.  It may be driven to and from the
pre-arranged test appointment. The Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) scheme
Components tested during an SVASVA Test fees

NB: If older than 3 years [check this period] the vehicle will also need an MOT certificate.
It may be driven to and from the pre-arranged test appointment. Perhaps this is part of
SVA assessment – I am not sure.
Vehicle forms

Car insurance
Any vehicle used in this country for more than six months in any 12 has to be registered
and licensed here in the normal way with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
In addition, where the keeper of the vehicle becomes resident in this country, the vehicle
must immediately be registered and licensed here. Once a vehicle has been registered
in this country its use must be covered by a motor insurance policy issued by a
motor insurer authorised in the UK.
Motor insurance
Buying motor insurance:

Problem. Insurance is required to drive the car even if it is only to go to the DVA test. 
There are two types of insurance; one is based on engine number and the other needs
licence plates which is no good when the car has not yet been registered.

British Insurers Brokers Association
Consumer Helpline: 0901 814 0015 (Call charges are 25p/min, Average call length 2/3min);
Fax: 020 7626 9676. Email enquiries: enquiries@biba.org.uk
They can advise on a suitable insurer.

Some useful links [most government sites are excellent]
DVLA Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency   Vehicle enquiries: Telephone: 0870 240 0010
Direct Gov site for motoring information
Importing or exporting a vehicle
Motor Insurance
How to register your vehicle and identity checks
HM Revenue and customs
Finding your nearest DVLA office
Components tested during an SVA
SVA Test fees

HELP with SVA  Because everything is so difficult there are companies who can do all
the work for you – for a serious fee. I have talked with only one of these [SVAsolutions]
and they were helpful with advice.
SVAsolutions Hafiz  TEL:0208 597 0101  -  0797 125 0777












logo design